Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pay for Nothing?

So here we are. The government has shut down, people are furloughed and soon if this is not solved it will trickle down to state levels.

The plan that Congress has is to pay these workers regardless whether or not they actually do any REAL work at all. On top of this, they can apply for unemployment benefits as well. Does this mean that they would have to look for a new job while collecting a paycheck from their government job at the same time?

Anybody else see a problem with this? Why should government employees get a free pass to get a government pay while robbing states of unemployment benefits?

While I like government employees being unemployed, I don’t care for them to double dip into funds that they don’t deserve either of. My suggestion is that if any member of Congress votes for this foolishness than I say that we the voters send them to the unemployment line without getting a government check anymore. It’s time that we slim down government, but not at the expense of paying them for doing nothing.

However, comparatively that evil company Staples is top-heavy with executives that should be let go as well and not given a check for doing nothing, which is the way the company has been operating for years. Their plan for existence is to eliminate store employees to pay for the corporate people. Just walk into any of their stores and you will see what I mean.

This is exactly what I did last week while I was away on a family trip. This is the reason why there was no post last week, but anyway I have visited this particular Staples store annually with basically the same results.

I walked into this particular location, which I won’t identify except to say it is in New England as I always would. At no point, was I ever neither greeted by anyone nor was I asked if I needed any help. I stayed in the store for about 20 minutes to see if anyone would ever come around to ask if I needed help. It never happened. In fact, I never saw an employee on the sales floor until I got to the door where I found just the unoccupied cashier and 4 (yes 4!) gray shirt managers talking amongst themselves while ignoring everything around them. Nobody, not even the dumb looking girl cashier acknowledged me on the way out the door. It was apparent that the store was run without employees and was held together with incompetent management that just didn’t care. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when I visit this location that is assuming that the location is still in business next year much less the company still in business.

Maybe a Staples shutdown is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment