Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Happy Halloweenie

This week I was going to write about a sad story, but because of the holiday of Halloween, I changed my mind because it would probably be deemed as some sort of trick or treat joke. Instead, this week I decided to wish everyone to have a safe and happy Halloween.

To be relevant to Staples this week, I would like to say that only in 1 year out of the 12 ½ years that I worked for the company was Halloween ever celebrated. This was the only year that the store decided to give out candy. However, and this is a big however, the employees could not dress up in costume under any circumstances. Ironically this was their belief when celebrating any holiday. It’s sad that Staples resents all of the holidays.

This definitely was not the case back in Woolworth when not only was Halloween celebrated but was encouraged for the employees to dress up and not only that but we gave out a significant amount of candy in each of the 9 years I was with them. Maybe it helped that Woolworth was located in the mall and Staples is located in a strip mall.

So Woolworth was a party environment and Staples was a party-pooper environment.

Maybe that is where we get the phrase “Trick or Treat”, just many years too late.

Stay safe and stay away from the monsters at Staples otherwise you will feel tricked everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment