Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Torn Between 2 Systems

Last week Sony released the latest version of its PlayStation gaming system. This week Microsoft is releasing their latest Xbox unit. At $399 and $499 respectively, these systems are nowhere near cheap. Add the cost of at least 1 game to each and you are at a $1,000 if you invest in both systems.

Yes, that is a 1 with 3 zeroes attached. Too much for many people to afford especially given that many people can’t even afford to put food on the table. Even the cost of 1 system could send anybody well over $750 if they buy even one of the systems. Even that is too much for many.

This is why I have never been swayed into buying a gaming system. Never. Ever.

Oh yes I used to sell video game systems back in the days of Woolworth. Back then, it was Nintendo versus Sega. Both were around the same price, but each had their strengths and weaknesses. I always preferred the Sega Genesis system because the games looked better and seemed less glitchy. However, the biggest difference was that the Sega display was the game “Sonic the Hedgehog”, whereas the Nintendo display was a laserdisc playing a loop of various titles with the ability for the users to press buttons to watch various categories of titles.

At one point, I asked the reps of both companies if they had any sales brochures on how to sell the units. Both companies response was that they didn’t and felt that the systems could stand on their own merit. In other words, no salesperson was necessary to sell the units and the employee like me was left being unable to answer customer questions unless I did my own research mostly from reading magazines in the bookstore across the way on my lunch break. It was my own opinion that usually swayed the customer. I was probably the most researched employee who was the most knowledgeable on these products even more so than the department head. In fact, the department head preferred the Nintendo system because it was a better seller. Not a great selling philosophy to me.

Fast forward to today and we still have some companies running playable game displays whereas others are still using loop DVDs to show off their systems. Unfortunately now, employees are still left stumped about the merits of the systems they sell.

This of course will lead to much customer buyer remorse this holiday season. It is expected that retailers will see many returns with the customers saying that they should have bought the “other system” or “none at all”. Back in the Woolworth days, this was very common right after Christmas and there was nothing that could be done about it. It came with the territory.

When Woolworth was selling out of video game systems, the Nintendo and Sega systems were marked down dramatically, to the point where $200 systems were selling for as low as $50. As much as I wanted to buy, I still resisted. Today, I regret that a bit, but given that obsolescence is guaranteed when new systems are released and old games don’t work on new systems, I thought better of it.

So, my advice to those million people who bought the new Sony or the million who will probably buy the new Xbox, stop and think of the following:

Do I really not need this?

Will the price come down right after Christmas?

Did I buy the WRONG system?

Will my money be better spent elsewhere?

After answering any of these questions with a yes, then walk away like I did. As I have done through every evolution of the video game industry.

Have a happy Black Friday!

Please note: There will be no posting next week in celebration of thanksgiving. I will be back in 2 weeks with a new posting at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment