Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Commentary: Paul LePage Just Hated 70,000 Mainers

This commentary refers to the following news article click here.

To save MaineCare from going broke, Mr. LePage plans on throwing 70,000 Mainers off the program who don’t have children.  I believe this is not only a mistake, but once again is LePage’s ignorance to his position.  Let me say that I am not on the program, but I did apply for it about 2½ years ago.  I am on a never ending waiting list because like the people he wants to throw off the program I am single with NO children.  And here lies my issue with all this.

I believe that to be fair LePage should look at ALL the participants in the program. This includes all the single teen moms, newly entered people into the country, and everyone else in the program. 

When I went to apply for the program, the Department of Human Services office was about 1/3 full of people who were foreigners, possibly many of them here in this country less than a year.  Another third was filled with the so-called teen moms along with their multiple children, quite possibly from multiple daddies as well. The remaining third were an assortment of people like myself who were truly in need of service.

After a 2 hour wait, I finally got to my interview and it didn’t take more than 15 minutes to be denied coverage just because I didn’t have any kids.  I would be put on a waiting list to when funds would be freed up and I could possible get insurance at that time.  Over 2 years later, I am still waiting.  Which brings me to my point:  Why should aliens (some illegally here of course) and teen moms (who shouldn’t have kids anyway) be allowed benefits when the people like myself who have paid into all the state programs for years get denied and those who haven’t paid anything get all the benefits?

This is where the cuts should happen.  This state, along with other states, encourage teen girls to get pregnant just to get free insurance.  Many of these girls who are under 21 have multiple baby daddies, which means they are ripping the system off even more.  What’s worse is that many of these young girls want no support from their baby daddies nor do some know where their baby daddies even are. 

As far as the foreigners go, this should be a gimme for a denial of benefits.  Why should these people who given nothing to the fund take from it.  They don’t belong in this country anyway, so stop stealing our benefits.  This may sound mean, but lets get real:  the people who earned the privilege of the benefits should get priority to them.  Let them be put on a waiting list instead and stay there. 

Sadly, this state has its priorities all messed up and wanting to kick the wrong people off the system is a HUGE mistake.  Everybody should be reevaluated and those that don’t qualify or those who don’t belong here should be removed.  I bet that when all of these people be eliminated not only will the gap be closed, but people like myself could get on the system.  However, given LePage’s past performance he will do the easy route and kick those off who shouldn't be.  I know if this happens LePage will have 70,000 less votes next election and that is guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment