Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Beginning -- It All Has to Start Somewhere

The world is not such a wonderful place anymore.  My world is no exception.  In fact, mine is probably worse than a lot of people's. Why, you ask?  Because, like millions of others, I became unemployed, but unlike others, mine has been anything but a pleasant experience.  I would call it down to downright humiliating.  The reason is that my previous employer, Staples, have been nothing short of being jerks (you can replace jerks with your favorite swear word if you like-certainly they deserve it).

The Backstory

My story begins with Staples in July 1996 and ends with my termination in March 2009.   However, the real story begins after my termination.  But first let me go way back before Staples, where my retail career began.  In May 1988 through March 1996, I was employed by the Woolworth Company and for 7 weeks in May and June 1996, I was employed by HQ (Home Quarters).  The reason I mention these other employers because at times I will be referencing them as part of similar things that happened with these employers as well.  All 3 of these companies suffered the same problem: bad management.  Yes, you read that right: BAD MANAGEMENT!!

Of course, managers will never admit they are not the problem..its their employees.  However, in my over 20+ years in retail, I have seen many good employees terminated because of incompetence of the management (myself included).  I am not getting on my high horse here, I am telling the truth of how a good employee can be destroyed by bad managers. 

Over the course of the next several weeks (months or years), I will be telling my story of how someone can destroy a good person leaving them empty..

Now a short Q & A session...

Q & A:

Why are you doing this as opposed to getting a job, wouldn't that be much more practical?

As I will be explaining, it may sound practical, but the damage that has been done has kept me from getting a job.  I have put out over 200 applications and not one single call back.  Its apparent that severe damage has been done.

I believe that if people read this, they will pass the information along to other people to read as an example of problems that can happen to good people.  I am granting anyone permission to use this information and pass it along to anyone they want.

How about going back to school to train in something else?

First, let me say that all my unemployment has expired (Maine only allows about 76 weeks whereas the U.S. government allows for 99 weeks..sadly Mane rules in this case), so I am basically penniless. 

Second, I have been to college after graduating high school and have a degree in computer science.  This is whole other story in itself which I will get to someday as well.


Next up:  Meet the Managers

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great opportunity for you to tell the story of a man who has no health insurance and cannot find a job because it needs to be heard.

    I will make sure Congressman John Conyers, Jr. checks out your blog.

    Beverly Tran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support..please spread the word of this blog as I want people to know just how bad this company REALLY is!!

    Any (and all exposure) is greatly appreciated and anyone is allowed to link to this blog. No permission from me is needed...just link it...

    With everyones help, maybe they might get the message...that is my hope I can finally get some justice against them...

    ReplyDelete